This is in response to an inquiry by Joachim Kumapley @jkumapley seeking to go into cassava production at the Akatsi North District.
1. What is the cost of production of 1acre cassava?
2. What farm machinery is required?
3. What are the costs of machinery?
1. Cost of production (2017) = GHC1,428.00
The cost comprises land hiring, land preparation, planting materials acquisition, planting materials preparation, planting, weed control and harvesting.Not included are overhead costs and other miscellaneous.
2. We cannot recommend any machinery since we do not know the terrain. The major activities requiring mechanization may be ploughing and irrigation. However, you may not need to plough the land if it is not extremely undesirable for planting.
Please provide some discription of the vegetation and nature of soil for expert advice on how to carry our land preparation and other activities.
3. To be responded to depending on the feedback from Q2.
About the marketing and sales, of course. We are gradually developing this platform and other resources for the purpose of marketing and sales. Very soon, that shouldn’t be a problem, especially for members on this platform (MyFarm/Agrihome).
@sankarlaly5k. Price for cassava is not standardized in many places across the country. The price is very much dependent on location and time. Current prices are around GHC350/ton. From the records, this can rise as high as GHC900/ton, though rarely.